[KRAFTWERK] My 2 cents about the DVD

MK McDowell mkmcd at qcwisp.com
Fri Dec 30 06:55:17 CET 2005

Alright, I'll chime in here a bit if I may...but I think Ian really sums
it up quite nicely!  For one thing, Kraftwerk does not *move* on stage
(like Madonna or most other bands or singers).  Therefore, the filming
technique has to be completely different.  Obviously, I had not seen the
Madonna concert that you were referring to, but I can almost bet that
the camera was following her all around with the occasional pan to the
band members, several close ups,  and few zoom outs of the stage.  I've
seen several concerts on tv as well as on DVD and this is basically what
they're all like, no?  In the case of Kraftwerk, the only visuals we
have (besides the non-moving members) are the videos.   So in order to
capture those videos for the DVD watching audience, they have two
choices...shoot far back from the stage or show them full screen.  In my
opinion, they interchanged *both* of these views brilliantly.  If you've
not seen the band live before (have you?), you may not grasp the
vastness of the screen behind them.  Well, it really is huge and there
is no other way to fit it all in besides filming from far back without
much room to be moving the camera all over the place.  So to compensate,
they added in plenty of other angles as they felt were necessary, like
some close ups, the showing of the hands on the controls, and the angled
shots.  And really...how professional and demanding do any of these
shots have to be?  From the bad reviews I've read, it seems like a lot
of people are wanting more of these shots or fancier effects.  But in my
personal opinion, overkill of these additional shots would not capture
the live experience of the band at all.  So I think what Priscila meant
about it being amateur was not how it was directed, but instead the
minimal use of fancy effects and perhaps the *quality* of some of the
video.  There was a bit of video noise present in some of the scenes,
but it doesn't at all take away from the overall feel of the concert.

I'll admit that some of the effects weren't all that fancy (but it's so
Kraftwerkian!) on the DVD, but I quite enjoyed them with the exception
of the mass pixelization on "Home Computer".  And as far as the fancy
MTV video goes, as cool and professional as it is, it is SO not true to
a live Kraftwerk concert, but rather a live *MTV* concert *featuring*
Kraftwerk, if that makes any sense.  There's quite a difference.  I'm
also not quite understanding your thoughts on "Vitamin".  I though this
was portrayed quite well on the DVD (I've not looked at the book yet
though).  There were plenty of great shots showing the background screen
in it's entirety and the full screen shots they added were a nice touch
as well.

Basically, I feel that the DVD isn't any better or any worse than I
expected it to be.  Given what they had, I think they did a great job
*trying* to capture the audience point of view all the while trying to
keep it entertaining.  Heck, if this were filmed like a rock concert,
then people would complain they couldn't see the videos. If it were like
an MTV production, it wouldn't be accurate. If shot only from the back,
then it would be boring.  Yet too many close-ups would be
inappropriate.  The list goes on an on.  It's really hard to please
everyone...including me! ;)  Well, that's my $.02!

Take care!
Mary