[KRAFTWERK] revisionism?

Toby Frith Toby.Frith at telegraph.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 16:06:08 CET 2005

You can see further proof of this in the Kraftwerk live set up. One could argue that there is a hierarchy in trad. rock bands through the placing of various band members (i.e the singer at the front in the middle) and in the instruments themselves. Unless a bass guitarist is the singer, he's always going to be less of a focus than a lead guitarist for example.

With Kraftwerk all musicians are in a row, with the prominent founders to the sides, more like a string quartet. The musical equipment itself is also nondescript in appearance, thus removing this fascination with the details of instrumentation. There's a great dichotomy in that because as we all know, Kraftwerk are the masters of nerd-like fascination with equipment.